Re: dialect survey

Subject: Re: dialect survey
From: jcurran -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 1994 19:10:08 GMT

In <396ajk$qmq -at- pravda -dot- cc -dot- gatech -dot- edu>, louise -at- pravda -dot- cc -dot- gatech -dot- edu (Louise
Penberthy) writes:
>When I lived in Chicago, I picked up the phrase "come with," as
>when I would say to my fellow grad students, "I'm going to the
>Student Center, want to come with?" One of the guys in my
>department was from Pittsburgh, and it drove him crazy.

Yes! My wife is from Chicago and that's the feature of her way of talking
that I think stands out the most. NEVER, EVER let it be said that
Chicagoans have a "general American" or "newscaster's" accent, because they
have a definite, distinctive accent.
Jim Curran "The information superhighway is not a
Information Developer freeway -- it's a toll road."
RTP, NC USA - Regis Magyar