Re[2]: dialect survey

Subject: Re[2]: dialect survey
From: Karla McMaster <mcmaster%pcmail -dot- cti-pet -dot- com -at- CTI-PET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 08:05:53 EST

Louise Penberthy) wrote:
>When I lived in Chicago, I picked up the phrase "come with," as
>when I would say to my fellow grad students, "I'm going to the
>Student Center, want to come with?" One of the guys in my
>department was from Pittsburgh, and it drove him crazy.

I'm from Minnesota, originally, and I use "come with," too. My husband (from
Tennessee) thinks that really stands out. I always knew (re Jim Curran's post)
that Chicagoans had a distinct, nasal accent, but thought Minnesotans had none,
until I moved South. Now, when I listen to my folks and friends in Minnesota, I
think "Boy! Do you have an accent!" (Of course, they think I sound Southern...)
Sometimes it takes some distance to gain perspective!

Karla McMaster, technical writer
CTI PET Systems, Inc., Knoxville, TN
mcmaster -at- cti-pet -dot- com