Math vs. writing

Subject: Math vs. writing
From: Kimberley Lackey <97372509 -at- WSUVM1 -dot- CSC -dot- WSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 08:22:40 PST

I also have experienced the dilemma of being a up and coming science
(engineering) major who couldn't quite cut it in the upper math areas. I made
it clear through Differential Equations before they rejected me as a future
engineer.

I understand very well the feelings of those of would have wanted to go into a
science based career rather than tech-wr. But I have come to believe that
having good writing skills is just as important in some areas of science as
good math skills. As a student, I am seeing first hand that engineering
courses are requiring a lot more writing in order to complete key courses. And
I know there are a lot of students who are not doing as well as they should
be because they don't have good writing skills.

I am hoping that my 2 1/2 years of engineering and computer science education
along with my writing skills will make me a well rounded person who will be
valuable to engineering based and computer science based corporations. It is
also very well accepted at my university at least that one cannot be a good
writer and a good scienntist. I hope to one day prove them wrong when I
finish my CE degree...but we will see.

Just sharing my experience. Sorry for the length.

Kimberley Lackey
97372509 -at- wsuvm1