Math vs. writing cont.,

Subject: Math vs. writing cont.,
From: Kimberley Lackey <97372509 -at- WSUVM1 -dot- CSC -dot- WSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 11:47:04 PST

After rereading my post to the list I decided I better explain a bit more
clearly my universities stance on writers vs. engineers. I actually think
this is more of a students perspective on the situation that engineers can't
write and writers can't be engineers. But when they only require engineering
majors to take one writing course, 400 level, they should realize that people
with weak writing skills won't do well in that senior level course. Maybe if
they required another writing course prior to the 400 level one, engineers
would do better. It is only in the past week that our school, which has one of
the best communication departments in the nation, discovered that their
journalism graduates were very lacking in grammer skills. So they have created
a required grammer course for Com. majors. Now if they would take this
approach with the engineers, then maybe they would become better writers. But
I suppose that would put all us tech-wr out of our jobs.

One other thing to clear up. I love math, I loved my science and engineering
courses. I just couldn't keep up with the high level of competition that is
necessary here to be accepted into the engineering program. I always seemed
to be number 12 on the list when they only let 10 people certify into the dept.

Once again I apologize for the length. Just venting!

Kimberley Lackey
97372509 -at- wsuvm1