Math vs. writing

Subject: Math vs. writing
From: "David Blyth @second" <dsb -at- ALSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 15:18:15 PST

Ed Hoornaert says:

>This thread seems to prove that tech writers get to be tech writers by
>a myriad of routes - which is great, because there's a world of stuff
>out there to document. This is also, perhaps, what keeps us from being
>a true profession.

But Technical Writing _is_ a true profession. Technical Writing is the
profession of learning how to learn. The fact (with which I agree)
that many of us came to this profession `by a myriad of routes' is only
evidence that we are all good at learning. You can put almost any
Technical Writer in almost any other person's route - and the Technical
Writer can learn it, and will learn how they learned.

The problem is not that Technical Writing isn't a true profession, but
that Technical Writing is not _accepted_ as a true profession, even by
some of those in the profession.

However, I persist on being a professional anyway. How else does one
change the world? ;-)

David (The Man) Blyth
Technical Writer
Alsys (San Diego)