Re: Math vs. writing

Subject: Re: Math vs. writing
From: Ed Hoornaert <Ed -dot- Hoornaert -at- VENTANA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 15:49:34 -0700

I was good at math in school until I hit Calculus, at which point my
intuitive approach hit a brick wall. Math simply made sense to me, the
same way MOST of the programs I document make sense. (Our current
project, however, is pure 'calculus' at this point.) But I was good at
English, in a secondary way, and ended up getting in tech writing not
because of any mathematical background, but because of teaching
experience (closely allied to tech writing, I'd say) and because of
writing experience (tech writing pays better than fiction or magazine
articles).

This thread seems to prove that tech writers get to be tech writers by a
myriad of routes - which is great, because there's a world of stuff out
there to document. This is also, perhaps, what keeps us from being a
true profession.