Creativity

Subject: Creativity
From: Ed Hoornaert <Ed -dot- Hoornaert -at- VENTANA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 16:19:58 -0700

In my time lurking on the list I've seen music mentioned numerous times,
and several people have admitted to being musicians, such as Mike Keene
and the woman -- name forgotten; apologies, but my computer has more
memory than I do -- who supports life 2, madrigals, with life 1, tech
writing.

In a similar vein, Kayla Westra (Equipment needs) mentioned writing
fiction on her 286, and Virginia Krenn talked about writing when she
retires. Probably there are a lot of other creative pursuits followed by
tech writers on the list.

All of which matches a personal observation of mine: that there is a
tremendous amount of creativity in the technical writing community.

So, what is the role of all this creativity in the tech writing process?
Does it help, hinder, and if so, under what circumstances? Is creativity
a way of thinking that helps when faced with a process or page layout
problem? Do you consider yourself creative, or a technician?