Re: Go

Subject: Re: Go
From: Jane Bowerman <jbower -at- UNM -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1994 10:48:34 -0700

> >About 20 years ago, I noticed that some teen agers were using
> >"goes" or "go" instead of "said." For example, "I go ......" or
> >he goes....." I wonder how or why this speech pattern developed and
> >will it be reflected in future dictionaries.

Raymond Carver wrote a short story called "Gazebo" using "goes/go" instead
of "said" throughout. I don't know when it was written. It's a great
little story about adultery, booze, and the end of a marriage. The use of
goes/go contributes a sense of movement to the inevitable demise of the
union.

I grew up in Australia (1970s) and had never heard or used this form before.
I guess that's why the Carver story struck me as so strange.

JB

/ Jane Bowerman || Snail Mail: 1509 Richmond Dr. NE \
/ CIRT Publications || Albuquerque, NM 87106 \
\ University of New Mexico || 505-266-8873 /
\ 505-277-8033 || E-mail: jbower -at- unm -dot- edu /