Re: Go

Subject: Re: Go
From: doug montalbano <doug_montalbano -at- CC -dot- CHIRON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1994 10:09:59 PST

Someone (teddibly sorry) goes:

>>About 20 years ago, I noticed that some teen agers were using
>>"goes" or "go" instead of "said." For example, "I go ......" or >>he
goes....." I wonder how or why this speech pattern developed and
>>will it be reflected in future dictionaries.

And Richard Mateosian goes:
>The AHD has a usage note about this, suggesting a connection to older
>acceptable usage like "the gun went bang." The earliest instance of
this >usage cited in the OED is "his heart went pit-a-pat" (1791).

And I can't stay silent any more -- God knows I've tried, really I
have -- and I go:
Personally, I like this pattern --in speech of course, not
writing [but see above]. I find it funny and more immediate than
"says", rather like a description of dialogue from a movie than a
written narrative (which is what "says" is all about).

Doug_Montalbano -at- cc -dot- chiron -dot- com