Re: Re[2]: Creativity and 'cross-linking' in the brain

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Creativity and 'cross-linking' in the brain
From: Elaine Winters <ewinters -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 18:40:19 -0800

On Tue, 15 Nov 1994, Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:

> The interface started out in a rectangular form because
> it was physical and had to be manipulated -- when you
> make the leap from tanned animal hides to the printing
> press or the typewriter, it helps to have even edges and
> consistent corners. This sort of thing gets rapidly locked
> in by economies of scale. I'm not sure why or when art
> bought into a rectangular interface. Probably because of
> stretching and framing, and by the inherent abstraction
> of creating a virtual world with color and texture and all
> those higher-order effects such as perspective.

Interesting ideas; how do you explain the ceiling art
in Rome by that Michaelangelo guy - -

In film sometimes, iris shots take care of that need to
get away from the angularity of everything . . .

> The physical interface for the virtual world started out
> round, an apt metaphor when you're mapping a round or
> circular sphere of interest onto a radar screen. But the
> roundness didn't survive the transition into consumer and
> business products, whose "software" was still driven by
> the conventions of paper products and of art (i.e., movies).

I think these things are culturally linked;
there are a several components involved in interface
design - - a few I can think of are:

Navigation/how to get around
Look/visual clues that convey info
Feel/interaction technique
Metaphors/images, concepts, and terminology
that everyone can recognize, understand

Pretty soon computers are going to leave the office, the
'lab' - - and migrate to pockets - - and to things we
touch and use in everyday life. Look how much of an
ordinary car is controlled by tiny computers.

So while the Desktop & Countertop has worked for the
support staff, and -- Classroom, Library, book, etc has
worked for the student, what will happen to these
metaphors as computer change into appliances?

Colors, as only one example are not going to work everywhere
with the same success. When marketing kicks in 'big time'
this will be more important.

Think of design - - we lean
toward a *Bauhaus* environment.

Some people really want to 'work' in *Queen Anne* or Chippendale.
^^^^^^^^^^^
Also, computers will BE the consumer product; so much a part
of the 'stuff' we buy that new ideas will have to be
incorporated...like (EG) - - credit cards, wallets,
gloves(temperture controlled?).

Things have to be made more easily understandable - -
more available, maybe more appealing, magical? To say
nothing of learnable and memorable.

Just my $.02.

Elaine
Elaine Winters 510-843-0909 ewinters -at- netcom -dot- com
Information_Mapping_________________Non_Linear_Instructional_Design
Cross_Cultural_Communication____Interactivity_____Writing_&_Editing