Re: e-mail

Subject: Re: e-mail
From: Vicki Rosenzweig <murphy!acmcr!vr -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 15:20:42 EST

I would also note that email is sometimes overused. At our office,
there's a very primitive (CMS-based) interoffice email system (don't
ask), which has a number of amusing features, including that by default
everything is discarded in a week (even if you're away from the office
the entire time). The attached printer wastes paper--a one-page printout
comes with three additional pages of header, footer, and one with
nothing on it. They use this, instead of hardcopy, for things we will
want to keep, like the vacation schedule. this means that, instead of
one person making copies (once) on a convenient sheet of paper, and
distributing them, everyone individually prints it out (on four times
as much paper) and they have to be delivered individually, thus wasting
the time of the mailroom staff as well.
Email is wonderful, but it's not _always_ the appropriate technology.

Vicki Rosenzweig
vr%acmcr -dot- uucp -at- murphy -dot- com
New York, NY