Re: women and men (was Re: Hey, take it eas

Subject: Re: women and men (was Re: Hey, take it eas
From: Vicki Rosenzweig <murphy!acmcr!vr -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 12:15:17 EST

Dave,

You may be immune to the masculine implications of "he" when used
as a generic pronoun, but many people are not. (One study asked people
to choose illustrations for book chapters, using two sets; the text
was identical except that one used "man" in the titles ("Man the
Farmer") and the other did not ("Farm Life" or "Early Agriculture").
People of both sexes given titles with "man" consistently chose only
male images.

As for "why would a woman *want* to hide her gender, anyway?" ask
Shannon Faulkner, who could not have been admitted to the school she
wanted to attend if she hadn't. Look at the records of women tryint
to get into med school in the 19th century--"J. Smith" could get in,
but "Jane Smith" couldn't. Even now, otherwise identical papers are
rated better if they have a male than a female author name. I'm not
ashamed of being a woman--I'm *angry* that people will think less of
me because I am a woman.

Vicki Rosenzweig
vr%acmcr -dot- uucp -at- murphy -dot- com
New York, NY