Re: women and men (was Re: Hey, take it eas

Subject: Re: women and men (was Re: Hey, take it eas
From: SuePStewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 21:11:06 -0500

Let's use "she/her" as the "generic" pronoun for about 50 years. Hey, it's
GENERIC, Dave! Just think of yourself as "her", it won't hurt a bit.

;-)

Seriously, how *we* feel about this is completely irrelevant. We are in a
service profession, like it or not. WHY should we risk offending even one of
our clients/customers/endusers?
For that matter, how can we risk exposing ourselves/our employers to
litigation or government sanctions? There are cases where companies lost
government contracts because their documentation did not comply with federal
guidelines for gender-neutrality.

So have your own opinion -- you're entitled to it. But don't be surprised if
the people who pay or inspire your salary object if you act on it.

suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com