Re: women and men (was Re: Hey, take it eas

Subject: Re: women and men (was Re: Hey, take it eas
From: Gary Beason <beason -at- CONVEX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 13:19:15 -0600

Dave Meek talked about goose-stepping PC'ers and the "he/she" arguments.

I used to think it was a minor thing to argue, using "he/she" or being aware of
other such languages uses. I won't go into the details of my epiphany except
to say my mother had credit problems when my father died; the
accounts were in his name, as in "mr. and Mrs. Dewey Beason."

This legal instance illuminates the significance of these seemingly minor
offenses, Dave: the woman is implied.

I love the way it has become so fashionable these days to point at such
arguments as nothing more than hurt feelings. "Chronically offended." (I
won't point the implied but obvious sexism in this kind of argument. Just watch
Rush Limbaugh act it out and it'll be all the clearer.)

You want to see another concrete example of what happens when women are only
implied? Look at medicine and the focus on men's physiology at the expense of
women.

--
--gary beason