Re: Built-in to vs. built in to

Subject: Re: Built-in to vs. built in to
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 14:21:00 -0500

I feel fine writing "Macintoshes with built-in Ethernet require a
transceiver...." but what about "LocalTalk is built in to every Macintosh
computer."

I've never liked the phrase "built-in" (I'm not saying it's Bad, just that I've
never liked it). Since most people are familiar with the concepts of standard
equipment and options, how about "LocalTalk is standard equipment on every Mac?"
Or just "LocalTalk comes standard on every Mac?"

If your audience is mainly techies, you could try "Ethernet is on the
motherboard of every Mac," as "on the motherboard" carries a wagonload of
meaning for them.

If you don't like any of those, how about "built into" rather than "built-in
to?"

Just some thoughts.

Have fun,
Arlen