MA in Tech Writing?

Subject: MA in Tech Writing?
From: Barb Philbrick <barb -dot- philbrick -at- PCOHIO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 17:12:00 -0500

D>I was wondering what the pros and cons were for continuing into a
D>Master's program. Would it help me advance further in my career (aka:
D>make it easier to get a higher paying Technical Writing job) or would
D>it make little or no difference?

My impression is that advanced degrees won't necessarily equal higher
pay, at least around these parts (Northeast Ohio). (BTW, this was the
consensus at a local STC meeting in which some local college
representatives spoke about advanced degrees.) If you don't have a lot
of experience, it might also put you in the "over-qualified" category
for starting positions.

If you're only in it for the money right now, I'd wait until you feel
better able to afford the degree and can get it for the personal
reasons.

Barb

barb -dot- philbrick -at- pcohio -dot- com
---
~ CMPQwk 1.4 #9107 ~ Illiterate? Write for FREE HELP!

PC-Ohio PCBoard PO Box 21411
The Best BBS in America South Euclid OH 44121
DATA: 216-381-3320 pcohio.com FAX: 216-291-2685