Forw: Localization tools (Long)

Subject: Forw: Localization tools (Long)
From: Susan Fowler <sfowler -at- EJV -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 07:58:48 EST

Folks:

Thought this forward might interest some of you. Forwarded from the Insoft list.

Susan Fowler
sfowler -at- ejv -dot- com

----- Forwarded message follows -----
Hello All,

Sorry about the delay in the messages. I have been far to busy for my
own liking. The web site is back up but I am still working on bringing
the ftp directory back on-line.

Here is the question regarding software localization tools and the
answers I received. If there are any demos or more info on these tools,
I would appreciate if they could be sent to me or info on where to
retrieve them.

Brian

From: h+ -at- nada -dot- kth -dot- se (Jon W{tte)
Subject: Re: insoft-l localization tools
Cc: insoft-l -at- trans2 -dot- b30 -dot- ingr -dot- com

Apple has good i18n support in both the OS and a tool called "AppleGlot"
which does memory-based string localization for binaries (possible=
because
of the MacOS Resource system)

Cheers,
--
Jon W=D3tte (h+ -at- nada -dot- kth -dot- se), Hagagatan 1, 113 48 Stockholm, Sweden
"Don't use the Layer Manager"
From: etxbrfa -at- kk -dot- ericsson -dot- se (ETX-T-BEA Bjorn Fahller)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 94 11:02:38 +0200
To: bptatro -at- trans2 -dot- b30 -dot- ingr -dot- com

Once, a long time ago, I wrote a DLL for time/currency/floating-point/date
etc. formatting/parsing for windows. It's available on a number of ftp
sites, as intl.zip. However, I am no longer supporting the product.

I'm thinking of writing something similar for OS/2, although I'd skip the
multilingual support (OS/2 does it much better itself anyway).
_
/Bjorn.
From: Nancy Hoft <itech -at- mv -dot- MV -dot- COM>
To: Brian Tatro <bptatro -at- trans2 -dot- b30 -dot- ingr -dot- com>

Brian,

I recommend that you contact Michael Anobile of the Localization Industry
Standards Association in Geneva, Switzerland. Many LISA members develop
these tools and he might be able to refer you to some people.

His email address is: manobile -at- divsun -dot- unige -dot- ch

Nancy Hoft, itech -at- mv -dot- mv -dot- com
INTL TECH COMM SVCS
RR2 Box 493 Moran Road
Temple, NH 03084
Telephone: 603.878.4540
CompuServe: 71614,1574
From: Robert Bononno <bononno -at- acf2 -dot- NYU -dot- EDU>
To: Brian Tatro <bptatro -at- trans2 -dot- b30 -dot- ingr -dot- com>

Brian,

Did we discuss XL8? That's available.

-robert

Robert Bononno /// Techline
bononno -at- acf2 -dot- nyu -dot- edu
CIS 73670,1570
From: ericj -at- ile -dot- com (Eric Johnson)
To: bptatro -at- trans2 -dot- b30 -dot- ingr -dot- com
Newsgroups: bit.software.international

Yes. International Language Engineering Corp. of Boulder. CO., USA has
a complete localization toolkit named Localix. For info contact ILE mar-
keting at localize -at- ile -dot- com -dot- Localix is industrial strength software for
big users.

Eric
< Eric A. Johnson, Recruiting | Email: ericj -at- ile -dot- com >
< International Language Engineering Corp. | Tel: 800-998-4532, x266 >
< 1600 Range Street | 303-546-8266 >
< Boulder, CO 80301 USA | Fax: 303-546-8290 >
From: Larry_Childs -at- Novell -dot- COM (Childs, Larry)
Date: 18 Aug 94 16:51:56 EDT

Brian,
Novell has developed "MsgTools" to help isolate source code message
strings for translation, and also "Translation Assistant", an in-house,
MAHT tool for translators. If you would like more information on these,
please let me know.

--Larry Childs
Internationalization Consulting Manager
Novell, Inc.
lchilds -at- novell -dot- com
801-429-3109
From: "Dan Kegel" <dank -at- knowledge -dot- adventure -dot- com>

But of course. Apple's AppleGlot.

- Dan
From: bdavis -at- zinc -dot- com

Zinc software produces a multi-platform/multi-lingual/multi-locale GUI
library. Most "porting" issues become text translation, object
sizing, and bitmap replacement issues.

Please contact Larry Macfarlane at info -at- zinc -dot- com or 1-801-785-8900 for
more information.

Brad Davis
bdavis -at- zinc -dot- com
From: pdeuter -at- netcom -dot- com (Paul Kenneth Deuter)
To: bptatro -at- trans2 -dot- b30 -dot- ingr -dot- com
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 08:54:10 -0700 (PDT)

XL8 by World Ready Software (415) 957-1300

-Paul Deuter
ViewStar Corp.
pdeuter -at- netcom -dot- com
pauld -at- viewstar -dot- com
From: Marion GUNN <MGUNN -at- IRLEARN -dot- UCD -dot- IE>
To: Brian Tatro <bptatro -at- trans2 -dot- b30 -dot- ingr -dot- com>,
Michael Everson <everson%irlearn -dot- bitnet -at- HEARN -dot- nic -dot- SURFnet -dot- nl>

Exactly. Do the tools contain internal sorts, so one can match (as in a
database) words, phrases, from string to string? You know how it is, if
a manufacturer decides to change the wording in an application ever so
slightly, so your normal extraction/matching tool cannot find an exact
match? That kind of thing. Also, would they have an inbuilt dictionary-
building facility, which the translator could edit, and call up online,
while in the throes of translating a new package. And what are they
CALLED? Are they made by IBM, Microsoft, localization companies or
third parties. Lots of questions, I know, but some INSOFT-Lers might
be interested in discussing such things.
My tuppence-'orth!
mg

MGUNN -at- IRLEARN -dot- UCD -dot- IE
From: dave -at- lai -dot- com (David Lakritz)
To: trans2!bptatro (Brian Tatro)
Cc: trans2!insoft-l

There are a variety of tools available, it depends on what you're looking for.

Apple has its own suite and there are some available from 3rd party vendors.

Dave Lakritz
Language Automation, Inc.
dave -at- lai -dot- com
From: helpware -at- cix -dot- compulink -dot- co -dot- uk ("Ian Tresman IBM He")
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 19:45:13 GMT
Apparently-To: bit-software-international -at- marble -dot- britain -dot- eu -dot- net

A couple of programs for Windows:

Whitewater Resource Toolkit, Symantec
that lets you modify Windows' dialog boxes, icons, menus, cursors,
bitmaps, strings and accelerators, even for use in a foreign langauge.
Access to a program's original source code is not required.

Super Linguist, KT International
Keyword: Translation
Hardware: As Windows
Languages: Chinese, Japanese, Spanish
program from its native language into another such as Chinese, Japanese
and Spanish. Super Linguist does not require modifications to the
original program.

Symantec, US tel: +1 408 253 9600 fax 4092
KT International, US tel: +1 203 289 0728 fax 0379

Both descriptions are taken from The Multilingual PC Directory. email me
at the address below to request a 1200 word description.

Ian Tresman, Publisher | Knowledge Computing
The Multilingual PC Directory. | email: 72240 -dot- 3447 -at- compuserve -dot- com
Details by FTP/GOPHER from: | Tel: +44 81 953 7722. Fax: 905 1879
DARTVAX.DARTMOUTH.EDU/PUB/LLTI-IALL/IALL-Database/MultiLing_PC_Dir_Desc
From: pdeuter -at- netcom -dot- com (Paul Kenneth Deuter)
To: bptatro -at- trans2 -dot- b30 -dot- ingr -dot- com (Brian Tatro)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 14:39:09 -0700 (PDT)

XL8 runs on MS-DOS. It can be used to localize MS-Windows applications.
It might also support other platforms that I do not know about.
-Paul Deuter
ViewStar Corp.
pauld -at- viewstar -dot- com
pdeuter -at- netcom -dot- com
From: anobile mike <manobile -at- divsun -dot- unige -dot- ch>
To: " (Brian Tatro)" <bptatro -at- trans2 -dot- b30 -dot- ingr -dot- com>
Subject: Re: insoft-l localization tools (fwd)

Dear Brian,

To name but a few of the most active today...

STAR AG Switzerland/ am Rhein
CAP Debis - Germany
Trados- Germany
IDOC Europe/ USA
Logos- Germany/ USA
SITE- Eurolang/ Paris
Alpnet / SLC, Utah
and of course, Systran!

LISA regularly reports on these and other
MT/MAT issues...via quarterly forums, newsletter and
special interest groups that focus
on surveys and other market data research specific
to the localization business and related technologies.

You might consider joining LISA.
You would get opportunity to frequently
communicate and meet with all current
users of this technology as well as
discuss development issues
and solutions with key personnel from both.

I have been in communications w/ your
compnay and hope to have you participate
in any of our Forums. This would give you
the chance to learn first-hand about our
association. Our next Forum is
in Mountain View, cohosted by Sun, 6-8 Novemeber.
Let me know if you are interested to attend.

Sincerely,
Michael Anobile
LISA Director
From: hedden -at- netcom -dot- com (Thomas Hedden Heather Hedden)
To: bptatro -at- trans2 -dot- b30 -dot- ingr -dot- com
Subject: Localization tools

Hello Mr. Tatro,
I just returned from vacation, and saw your e-mail
message of the 18th in which you asked for information
about localization tools. There have probably already
been more replies than you need, but I thought I'd put
in my two cents' worth.
Are you interested only in PCs? Or are you also interested
in Macintosh? There are a whole series of tools available
for Macintosh which Macintosh people use: ResEdit, Resorcerer,
AppleGlot, Show Dialog Boxes, etc. For PCs, I'm sure that
you know about XL8, which has a "code" version and an
online help version.
Just out of curiosity, I can't refrain from asking you
whether you are aware of similar tools for the UNIX
platform. (Since you work at Intergraph, you must be aware
of them, if they exist.)
Regards,
Thomas Hedden
| Thomas & Heather Hedden | Telephone +1/415/323-6752 |
| 555 Forest Avenue, # 11 | Fax +1/415/321-8615 |
| Palo Alto, CA 94301 | internet hedden -at- netcom -dot- com |
| U.S.A. | CompuServe 75000,3307 |
From: "Cheuk, Kenneth" <Cheuk#m#_Kenneth -at- msgate -dot- corp -dot- apple -dot- com>
To: bptatro -at- trans2 -dot- b30 -dot- ingr -dot- com

Brian :

Try the MDSN Level II subscription. (Microsoft Developer Network Level II)
gives virtually all their development tools to you.

It contains worldwide Win, DOS and their respective SDK, DDK etc...

Regards,
Kenneth Cheuk