Re: POSSIBLE VIRUS ALERT

Subject: Re: POSSIBLE VIRUS ALERT
From: Gwen Gall <ggall -at- CA -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 10:42:35 EST

>Shouldn't technical writers (of all people, sheesh!) know better than to
>broadcast stuff like this without checking to see if it's actually
>possible?

Any time something like this gets posted to the 'net, it gets to my corporate
email, through various means, multiple times. The virus thing came from an
Oracle admin. type that I don't usually get mail from.

The most fun one recently was the "warning" about gang initiations where they
drive around with their headlights off, and when you flash them with yours,
they follow you and -um- beat you to death or something, I forget. I was
reading email _swearing_ it had happened according to some policeman in some
town. Some intrepid soul actually _called_ the police force mentioned--it was,
of course, a total urban myth.

I was even emailed by a vice-president of customer support, and a hysterical
secretary--warning everyone to very very careful when we travel in the States.
(Ooh, that bad scary place!) ;-)

My point: save yourself being snickered at behind your virtual electronic back
by not passing on stuff like this without being absolutely convinced of its
accuracy and usefulness....And be confident that, even if it is accurate and
useful, there're plenty others out there willing to make fools of themselves by
broadcasting it.

Gwen (ggall -at- ca -dot- oracle -dot- com)