Re: Roman page numbers for front matter

Subject: Re: Roman page numbers for front matter
From: Ray Bruman <rbruman -at- RND -dot- RAYNET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 12:54:00 PST

Kelly Hoffman <kelly -at- NASHUA -dot- HP -dot- COM> writes:

> Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG> writes:

> > I kinda like [roman numerals in publications]. But even if I hated
> > them, I wouldn't want to fight the logistic problems of numbering
> > books consecutively from title page = page 1.

> What "logistic problems" did you have in mind?

Since I brought it up, I'll rudely jump in and answer in his place:

Well, the page-proofs have been corrected and the Linotype galleys
are ready to go, with running heads and page numbers in place.
Thousands of pounds of gleaming metal are ready to put on the press.
Now that we have the pagination determined, we can set the type for
the table of contents and other front matter, and of course that
will require a different typographical convention... uh...

excuse me, what year is it now? MCMXCIV? My, how time flies.

Ray Bruman In this establishment,
Raynet Corp. we DO NOT DISCUSS
rbruman -at- raynet -dot- com race, religion, politics,
415-688-2325 or nutrition.