Re: Salary Question

Subject: Re: Salary Question
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 18:14:23 -0800

Kim W. writes:
[snip]>
> I've been going through postings on the Net, along with postings
> elsewhere, and always get stumped when it comes to the salary
> section.
[snip]

> I just thought that with a college degree, I would at least
> start in the high 20's or low 30's. I guess I'm wondering
> if I'm expecting too much. ???
[snip]

Depends on where you live and what the market is like. In SoCA you'd be
right on target for a hi-tech or software firm. A couple of years ago
when the military-industrial complex was crumbling and experienced
writers were a dime a duzen, you probably couldn't have gotten a job
sharpening pencils (since then, employers have gotten wise to mil-spec
and a lot of the defense workers have moved on).
;-)

My contacts on the east coast are a little out of date, but it seems to
me that a few years ago you'd have been on-track there too. I dunno, tho.
My niece has a degree in marketing and is only making $10/hr. She made
more as a legal secretary!

I hate to tell you to "settle" -- life being what it is and humans needing
to eat and all. What you'll probably end up doing is finding a job with
a small company with more ambition than money that wants you to do
*everything* and pay you *nothing*! Hang in there. A year or two of
solid experience will boost your earning potential significantly!

Sue Gallagher
Technical Writer
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com