Re: Salary Question

Subject: Re: Salary Question
From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- CADENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 15:54:28 -0800

STC publishes abbreviated results of a salary survey that should give
you at least the ballpark. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to ask for the
detailed results.

Your college placement office should have some info for you. What
research have you done so far?

Where are you looking? Geography has everything to do with salary.

What experience do you have? Can you show it?

You don't want to hear this, but your degree only gets you ahead of
those with no degree (maybe). It doesn't get you a job, or better
money.

Are you evaluating correctly? Did that 10.50 get you commensurate
bennies?

I have lots of recent experience here; you can send me Qs at my address
only, if you like.

==========================

Hi Everyone.

I'm new to the list--just joined today. :)

I'm a senior in the STC program at Michigan Tech. University,
and I'm graduating *yipee* in May, 1995.

I've been going through postings on the Net, along with postings
elsewhere, and always get stumped when it comes to the salary
section. I think out of all the postings I've read (over 300
probably), that only 3 actually put down a dollar amount.
I know it's very characteristic of employers to use phrases
such as: "send resume with salary requirements," "compensation
is commensurate with degree and work experience," "competitive
salary," etc... But this isn't good enough! *laugh*

Well, in regards to this, I wondered if anyone out there had
any words of wisdom on what exactly to expect, or ask for.
Some of the amounts that were listed on a couple postings
seemed low. Maybe I'm expecting too much. ???

I worked for a few years after highschool, before I decided
that I needed a college education, and was making $10.50/hr.
This is more than what some of those postings were offering!
*sigh*

I just thought that with a college degree, I would at least
start in the high 20's or low 30's. I guess I'm wondering
if I'm expecting too much. ???

Anyway, if anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much!

Kim Wiederman
kim -at- mtu -dot- edu