Re: occupational outlook handbook

Subject: Re: occupational outlook handbook
From: Sally Marquigny <SALLYM -at- MSMAILHQ -dot- NETIMAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 11:48:00 PST

Glen makes a good point. The thing we're always trying to drill in their
heads here is that the stuff we write is *part* of the product! Would you
buy a VCR with no instructions? Would you buy a car with no owner's manual?
[Ya might not really ever get around to reading them, but that's another
issue.]

This blurb says we write for sales reps and technicians only, but we all
know we write for the user, whoever she is. The stuff that's written for
use by sales reps is generally *marketing* writing as opposed to *technical*
writing. Granted, the line can be blurry for some folks in some
organizations, but a good tech writer does not necessarily make a good
marketing writer, and vice versa.

Sally Marquigny Network Imaging Systems
sallym -at- msmailhq -dot- netimage -dot- com Herndon, VA

Anyone who imagines that all fruits ripen at the same time as the
strawberries knows nothing about grapes.
--Philippus Aureolus Paracelsus
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Date: Wednesday, December 14, 1994 9:57AM

> "Technical writers put scientific and technical information into readily
> understandable language. They prepare manuals, catalogs, parts lists, and
> instructional materials used by sales representatives to sell a wide
variety
> of machinery and equipment and by technicians to install, maintain, and
> service it (U.S . Dept. of Labor 186)."

> As a technical writer yourself, do you think this statement is true and
> accurate?

I wouldn't say that blenders are "scientific or technical," nor would I say
that their manuals are used by sales representives or technicians. But, I
would have a technical writer produce a manual for them.... Same with cars,
TVs, phones, tents, and about a gazillion other consumer products. The
description also seems to imply that tech writers to make anything for
people
who _use_ a product.

glen accardo glen -at- softint -dot- com
Software Interfaces, Inc. (713) 492-0707 x122
Houston, TX 77084

Did the Corinthians ever write back?