occupational outlook handbook -Reply

Subject: occupational outlook handbook -Reply
From: Lisa Baker <LISAB -at- WORDPERFECT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 17:19:58 -0700

I'd say it's a pretty limited and dated interpretation of what we do. I suppose
our work is
sometimes used by sales representatives to sell "machinery and equipment," but
it
doesn't seem to address the software world at all where our work is shipped on
disk with
the product (online help) and where our work -is- the product (dialog box and
interface text).
I think someone already mentioned that our work is primarily for the end-user,
not the
sales force.

I hope the part about "readily understandable language" is at least accurate.

Lisa Baker lisab -at- wordperfect -dot- com
Master Technical Writer - WordPerfect, Novell Applications Group
; A child's face can say it all ;
' Especially the mouth part of the face ;

>>> William J. Hartzer <William -dot- Hartzer -at- EMC2-TAO -dot- FISC -dot- COM> 12/13/94 02:34pm >>>
The 1988-1989 edition of the "Occupational Outlook Handbook" states:

"Technical writers put scientific and technical information into readily
understandable
language. They prepare manuals, catalogs, parts lists, and instructional
materials used
by sales representatives to sell a wide variety of machinery and equipment and
by
technicians to install, maintain, and service it (U.S . Dept. of Labor 186)."

As a technical writer yourself, do you think this statement is true and
accurate?

Just wondering,
Bill Hartzer, Technical Writer
Fischer International Systems Corporation
(Sunny and Warm) Naples, Florida USA