Re: Mosaic as an online ...

Subject: Re: Mosaic as an online ...
From: Mike Beyries <beyries -at- CSISDN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 08:29:52 PST

jong -at- TNPUBS -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM makes a good point. Mosaic and its ilk
(Cello, Winweb, Netscape) are effective online browsers for local
files as well as WWW sites. In my recent brief experience putting
marketing materials and other pieces of documentation on a WWW
server, I found it relatively easy to put appropriate markup and
simple graphics that make such documents presentable. As with
other hyper-link documentation, the real trick is to structure
the links and the pieces so people can choose their own best
and meaningful path to information (of course!).

If the audience can reasonably be expected to have the requisite
system and the tools can be supplied easily enough, I think
Mosaic as a help browser is feasible. I did find the graphic
(GIF) format rather limiting, but there are other kinds of
'documentation' that can be included (audio, video, jpeg, ...).

Let's hear some more about this!
Regards,
Mike Beyries (beyries -at- csisdn -dot- com) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Documentation & Development Support | Life belongs to the living, and |
IRE (formerly CSI) in | he who lives must be prepared |
Mountain View, California, U.S.A. | for changes. |
Phone (415) 903-8382 [ISDN] or -2589 | -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe |
Probably *not* IRE's corporate opinion ! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -