using Mosaic/WWW and ftp to distribute docs

Subject: using Mosaic/WWW and ftp to distribute docs
From: Debbie Campbell <dcamp -at- CS -dot- RICE -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 1994 17:21:25 -0600

Mosaic to distribute files, I'd like to add my $0.02.

Someone mentioned broken connections. Good point. We store text, HTML,
PostScript, and tar files in an ftp site, then use a separate Web site to
access these files. (That way, we can serve people who don't have WWW
access.) Wouldn't you know it, the day after we announced our latest
version of software, our Web server died. It was weeks before our
support staff got around to restoring the Web site.

As for Mosaic vs. Netscape vs. whatever, I'd say focus on the WWW and
HTML, not necessarily the browser. Over the next few years, I'm sure we'll see
many browsers come and go. And try to keep in mind that not
everyone has an ISDN line, a color monitor, and 32 M RAM; i.e., go easy
on the gifs.

As for copyrights, I'm reading a new book called "Cyberspace and the
Law," by Houston attorney (can you tell I'm a Texan ;-) Ed Cavazos. I
hope it sheds a little light on this area for me. Would anyone like a
book review?

Overall, I *love* using the Web to distribute files. If anyone has
specific questions, I'd be happy to try to anwser them.

Debbie Campbell (dcamp -at- cs -dot- rice -dot- edu)

http://www.cs.rice.edu/fortran-tools/DSystem/DSystem.html

Rice University
CITI/CRPC - MS 41
6100 South Main Street