comments on Web pages

Subject: comments on Web pages
From: Debbie Campbell <dcamp -at- CS -dot- RICE -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 09:57:22 -0600

Hi,

Someone on the list asked for a critique of his Web pages, and I thought
I'd send part of my personal reply to the list...

>I browsed your pages, and as a seasoned webmistress myself, I have a few
>nit-picky comments:

* I know you haven't had time for this yet, but I'd love to see the
pages open with a nice graphic.

* Please, please, please dump the "click here" approach. Just link the
desired term, like *spring schedule* -- users will know it means "click
here to see the spring schedule." If you're familiar with Strunk & White,
you may recognize this as a form of "Omit needless words."

* Please don't make things look like they're linked when they're not.
For example, until you can track down a map, your html file can include the
string <a href = "..."></a> map.

* Please include URL, date, and email info on your Web pages, so that
when they're printed, users will know where the pages came from and when
they were updated.

Hope it helps,
Debbie