Re: click on, select, choose

Subject: Re: click on, select, choose
From: Ned Bedinger <qwa -at- ESKIMO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1994 15:45:12 GMT

In article <MiwuR5a00iV_M5_YFO -at- andrew -dot- cmu -dot- edu>, Jill R Shapiro
<jsbz+ -at- andrew -dot- cmu -dot- edu> says:

>"click on" for icons. This seems pretty convoluted to me, but it also

I think your instinct is good. Writers have the option
of including graphics when needed, but they should not
have the option of creating random terminology to alleviate
boredom. While I do recognize the usage and longevity of
the various terms and specialized meanings (select, choose, etc),
I cannot find any reason to prefer them over 'click'. When I
write my own docs for my own software, I use only click. When
I write for someone else, I have to use their conventions, which
usually include a bunch of pussy-footing around with abstrations
about the mousepointer-software interface. I find that 'click'
is the least ambiguous, most direct way to describe what a user
does to choose, select, actuate, whatever....

Ned Bedinger
qwa -at- eskimo -dot- com