Re: click on, select, choose

Subject: Re: click on, select, choose
From: mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1994 13:32:15 EST

Ned Beninger writes:
> boredom. While I do recognize the usage and longevity of
> the various terms and specialized meanings (select, choose, etc),
> I cannot find any reason to prefer them over 'click'. When I

If the only way to perform the action is with the mouse, then I agree,
"click" is the most appropriate term. If, however, there is a way to perform
the act with the keyboard (and there usually is), then "click" is an inadequate
term.

I use "select" because I can't be sure my reader is using the mouse: they
could be using the keyboard, or have their system set up for voice recognition,
etc. So, I tell the reader to "select" menu choices, buttons, and so on.
FWIW, there isn't really a good mapping between keyboard action and the
double-click mouse action, so I do find myself using "double-click" for
opening icons. For single-click, though (which is the majority of an
interface's interactions), I find "select" is clear and accurate, and thus
preferable over "click" which is merely clear.

BTW, what exactly are the specialized meanings of "select" and "choose"?
I don't see why their original meanings wouldn't be sufficient. "Click",
of course, is computer jargon, pure and simple, which is another reason to
prefer "select".

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Disclaimer: speaking on my own behalf, not IBM's.