HTML, WWW at the SGML Forum of NY

Subject: HTML, WWW at the SGML Forum of NY
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 10:10:19 EDT

The SGML Forum of New York invites you to attend

SGML, HTML, WWW and Other Cozy Acronyms

Date: Tuesday, January 10th, 1995
Place: McGraw-Hill, Inc.
50th Floor Dining Room
1221 Avenue of the Americas (lobby entrance off 49th Street)
Agenda: 5:30 Registration and Opening Remarks
5:45 Keynote Speaker: Joe Schneider, Hal Computer Systems
7:00 Vendor Demonstration: Kent Summers, EBT

Start off the New Year with lessons on the web -- the World Wide Web, that
is. At the January meeting of the SGML Forum of New York, Joe Schneider
of Hal Computer Systems will explain how the Web works. SGML is already
playing a vital role in the form of HTML (HyperText Markup Language), the
lingo that Web browsers speak. SGML is going to become even more critical
to the WWW in the years to come and Joe will offer his observations on
where he expects things to go. We plan to have a live line in place so expect
to see the Web in action.

For our vendor demonstration, Joe will show Hal's OLIAS as a Web client, and
Kent Summers of Electronic Book Technologies, Inc. (EBT) will demonstrate
their product DynaWeb as the server. Everyone acknowledges that one of
the weaknesses of the WWW is HTML itself. DynaWeb enables real-time
conversion of robust SGML-encoded documents into HTML on the fly, as
they are "fed to the Web." With DynaWeb, you can make a variety of SGML
documents available for on a web server without having to "dumb them
down."

Upcoming Programs:

If you think HTML is neat, come to our February 14th meeting when Steven
Newcomb of TechnoTeacher will explain HyTime, the SGML-based language
for encoding hypermedia. Dr. Charles Goldfarb has proclaimed HyTime "the
future of SGML." Come to our February meeting and learn why.

About the Forum

The SGML Forum of New York is a nonprofit organization devoted to the
exchange of ideas and information about SGML. Organized primarily as a
user group, the Forum seeks to promote an understanding of the scope and
benefits of the SGML standard and to further its practical application within
a variety of industries, including publishing, financial services, insurance,
pharmaceuticals, and telecommunications.

Reply by fax to (718) 357-8776.

"SGML, HTML, WWW and Other Cozy Acronyms"
Friday, October 28, 1994

o Yes, I will attend.

o No, I cannot attend but please keep me on your mailing list.

Telephone: ( )

Make address corrections on the label below.
Please invite your colleagues, and add to this sheet the names, addresses and
telephone
numbers of those who will be attending.

SGML Forum of New York, Inc.
Bowling Green Station