Re: am pm or AM PM

Subject: Re: am pm or AM PM
From: "Virginia L. Krenn" <asdxvlk -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 09:35:54 -0600

I previously posted the following paragraph.

Additionally, since these abbreviations refer to times 'after'
noon and 'before' noon, it is not correct to use them with noon.
And similarly, because midnight is equidistant from noon the
abbreviations should not be used with midnight. The correct way
to refer to these times is 12:00 noon or 12:00 midnight.

Since then, I have seen a reference that says that they should be referred
to as 12 noon and 12 midnight (without the colon and zeros). I don't know
if this implies that the colon and zeros would be considered incorrect.
Also, I'm wondering if 'twelve noon' and 'twelve midnight' would be used.

Virginia Krenn
Stillwater, OK