Chris Benz's Rules (modified)

Subject: Chris Benz's Rules (modified)
From: Debbie Campbell <dcamp -at- CS -dot- RICE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 16:29:10 -0600

Hello again, Chris,

I thought you might like to see what I mailed to the 20 members in my
group. I had trouble with your last two rules too, so here's what I came up
with (these are also online in our internal Web pages). --debbie

Technical Writing Guidelines
============================

1. Know Thy Audience.
2. Omit needless syllables, words, and ink.
3. Go from the known to the unknown.
4. Make it understandable (see 1-3).
5. Make it consistent, unless that interferes with 4.
6. Make it technically accurate -- but not necessarily precise, unless that
interferes with 4 or 5.
7. Make it grammatically correct, unless that interferes with 4, 5, or 6.

-- adapted from "The Golden Rules of Writing," by Chris Benz, and "The Elements
of Style."