midnight Friday

Subject: midnight Friday
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 07:02:15 MST

> Kelly Hoffman writes:

> New twist: If someone advertises that they're open 8 am Monday to
> midnight Friday, are they open on Friday or not?

> (Now you know why the railroads always use 11:59 pm and 12:01 am. ;-)

This is strictly personal opinion, but I don't see a problem
with interpreting midnight Friday at all. If today were Friday
(and it is!) and I said midnight today or midnight tonight,
would there be any question?

I actually found a reference for this. The UPI Stylebook says
that midnight "is part of the day that is ending, not the one
that is beginning." Ergo, midnight Friday refers to the _final_
minute of Friday.

Side note: The same reference also says _not_ to put a 12 in
front of noon or midnight.

Beverly Parks
bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil