health insurance for contractors

Subject: health insurance for contractors
From: Kathryn Seifert <kathryn_seifert -at- IL -dot- US -dot- SWISSBANK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 1994 09:36:47 -0600

I work as a contractor and thus do not receive health insurance from my

employer. I am becoming more and more concerned about this, especially as
I have an un-insured friend who had an accident recently and ended up paying

$10,000 out of his own pocket for medical expenses! My lack of health insurance
is about
the only reason I have considered taking a full-time position with a company.

I have checked into several different companies (such as Blue Cross) to find
out about
their individual health insurance plans, but they seem to be either exorbitantly
expensive
($200+/month for a 30-year old female - and that's WITHOUT maternity coverage)
or have
exceedingly high deductibles ($1000-2000 is not uncommon).

Could anyone out there provide some pointers to how to find affordable,
reasonable health
insurance for the self-employed? Unfortunately (well, I usually think of it as
fortunately) I
am not married - so I have no spouse's insurance to attach myself to.

kathryn seifert
seiferk -at- us -dot- il -dot- swissbank -dot- com