Health Insurance for Contractors

Subject: Health Insurance for Contractors
From: Kathleen Nosbisch <bjg2 -at- SHAMAN -dot- NEXAGEN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 16:55:23 -0700

Kathryn Seifert inquired about health insurance for contractors.

I am a contractor, and I have purchased my own health insurance
through an independent insurance broker. I found one in the yellow
pages and called him, and asked him for quotes for plans he could
provide with a $250, $500, $1000, and $1500 deductible. (Since he is
independent, he isn't tied to any one particular company.)

He gave me ten quotes for different plans from different companies.
I then called our doctor's office, named these ten companies to them,
and asked them which companies paid on claims the fastest, which ones
they liked working with the best, and which ones they didn't like.
From that, I selected a plan.

I am currently insured with Central Reserve, and I pay $172 per month
for my two daughters and myself (I am 37). I have a $1000 deductible,
so I am basically paying for all sniffles, flu bugs, etc., but am
covered if one of the kids were to break a leg or if something
catastrophic were to happen. This plan has a $10 copay per office
visit, and a $5 drug card, where you pay either 5% or $5, whichever is
greatest for each prescription drug.

I don't like paying the high premium each month, but it's still better
to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

If any of you want Central Reserve's number, or my insurance agent's
number, I'm sure it would work the same way for you. I haven't ever
met him face-to-face - we have only dealt through the mail so far.

Hope this helps some of you!

kat

Kathleen Nosbisch Contract Consultant
bjg2 -at- nexagen -dot- com Writing, Testing, and Training