Fwd: Re: health insurance for contractors

Subject: Fwd: Re: health insurance for contractors
From: Chris Silker <silke001 -at- MAROON -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 23:19:34 CST

Forgive me if this is a duplicate posting, but I sent it earlier today and
just received it back with the attached message that user Andrea Dodd could
not be found; I double-checked, and I sent it to the list address. Hmm.

Kathryn Seifert writes:
> I have checked into several different companies (such as Blue Cross) to find
> out about their individual health insurance plans, but they seem to be
> either exorbitantly expensive ($200+/month for a 30-year old female
> - and that's WITHOUT maternity coverage) or have exceedingly high
> deductibles ($1000-2000 is not uncommon).

I'm in the midst of checking this out for a friend of mine who works as a
freelance video editor. Blue Cross/Blue Shield of MN offers a program
called "Aware Care," which is about $86/mo. for $150 deductible, $62/mo.
for $500 deductible, and $48/mo. for $100 deductible. This is for a 30
year old, tobacco free, no chemical dependency coverage, and it DOES
include maternal care. HMO programs tend to be more expensive, running
over $100/mo.

Hope this is helpful.

Chris Silker
University of Minnesota
Departments of Rhetoric and Forest Resources