Re: Platform-independent online help

Subject: Re: Platform-independent online help
From: Jan Bates <bates -at- KINGFISH -dot- ATT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 16:44:00 GMT

Kelly Thompson asked about using HTML for on-line help. I am just starting
to use and get to know webmaker from CERN. As far as I know it is licensed
freeware. I am using it to convert documents from FrameMaker 4.0 under
X Windows.

The conversion relies on a configuration file to map paragraph and character
formats to HTML equivalents. Setting up the config file is a bit
laborious, but once it is done, re-converting the document is effortless.
I have found that I sometimes have to tweak the maker original to ge the
effects I wanted in the html doc, but it was not a major problem.

Caveat: My experience so far is very limited.

The URL for webmaker is http://www1.cern.ch/WebMaker/WEBMAKER.html

Jan
Jan Bates - Documentation Consultant Voice: 908 949-2311
ADSS - AT&T Bell Labs Fax: 908 949-4001
Holmdel NJ e-mail: bates -at- kingfish -dot- att -dot- com