Re: Trigger

Subject: Re: Trigger
From: Tim Pera <uusr656!tim -at- RAMBONE -dot- PSI -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 16:10:08 +0600

Rosie <ncrowe -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM> asked for opinions about how the
following sentence could be re-written:

"The toolbar buttons trigger commands that are also found
on menus."

Generally, I like to put the responsibility on the person who is
driving the software. A button does not mean much unless someone
selects it. So I suggest:

"Select toolbar buttons to carry out commands that you
can also initiate from menus."

Rosie's re-write ("Toolbars buttons allow you to select the
commands you may use most frequently without having to go
through the menus.") suggests she wants to stress the shortcut
nature of buttons. In this case I might write it this way:

"Rather than navigate menus, select toolbar buttons for immediate
access to often-used commands."

Tim Pera
Technical Writer - Publishing Business Systems, Inc.
2833 Fairview Ave. N., Suite B - Roseville, MN USA 55113
tel 612.639.2713 - fax 612.639.0662
e-mail tim -at- pbs -dot- com, tjpera -at- maroon -dot- tc -dot- umn -dot- edu