Re: Trigger

Subject: Re: Trigger
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 15:01:39 -0800

Rosie writes:
[snip some background]

> We had a sentence that told the user:
> "The toolbar buttons trigger commands that are also found
> on menus."

> I thought "trigger" sounded too technical -- my coworker disagreed
> since you can "trigger" reactions in people. Another writer
> suggested "activate" (which also sounds technical). I
> suggested "perform" (which I now dislike).

> (I have since had an idea to re-write the entire paragraph
> to avoid any of the terminology, but still I would like
> your opinions on the words.)

> FYI - my suggestion for the rewrite:
> "Toolbars buttons allow you to select the commands you may use
> most frequently without having to go through the menus."

I think you're on the right track, Rosie, but you need to trim some
to make the sentence morse succinct. What I've used in the past goes
sumpin' like this...

Toolbar buttons offer quick/convenient access to
the most frequently used menu commands.

(you decide whether you want to use quick, convenient, or both)

BTW, I generally include a chart in my introductory chapter explaining
what each toolbar button does and what menu option it equates to. %-)

Sue Gallagher
Technical Writer
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com