Manuscript Formats

Subject: Manuscript Formats
From: William Boswell <boswell -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 1994 14:01:43 GMT

I have a question about manuscript submittals.

When I write a manual for a client, I lay out the structure of the
book at the same time I do the outline. While I'm writing, I
constantly add bits and pieces onto the structure to make sure
it works, and I always do the final few drafts on
the structured document.

Here's my question. Because form and function are inextricably
linked in tech manuals and handbooks, is it acceptable to submit the
formatted document as a manuscript to a publisher? This is a
major league gaff in fiction writing, but perhaps the rules
are different in this arena.

Guidance appreciated.

--bill