Re[2]: Keeping your nose clean

Subject: Re[2]: Keeping your nose clean
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 08:53:00 -0500

Now just a dadburn minute. If I ask you to hand me a Kleenex, is a
paper towel going to be your first choice? Will you actually consider
toilet paper?

If you ask my wife, you'll end up with toilet paper, as that's what she always
uses. My own first choice depends entirely on the situation. Did you just
sneeze? Are you standing by a window? In any case, I'm quite likely to say
"Sorry, don't have one. Will a Puffs do?"

OK, seriously: use and refer to your company's or
client's trademarks properly. You are under no obligation to do
anything about other company's TMs.

This is just another way of saying "You are under no obligation to obey the
law." It's absurd to assert that you have no obligation to respect someone
else's property rights. Grow up. Realize that there are other people in this
world and their rights just *may* be more important than your convenience.

Worry about being sued? You have to have great influence in the market
for anyone to spend the bucks trying to get you to stop doing
something.

They don't have any choice. If they don't take action against *everyone*,
powerful or not, then they lose the trademark. It's that simple. They can't
employ "selective prosecution" and maintain their trademark.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 24