Alternatives to *users*

Subject: Alternatives to *users*
From: Thomas Barker <DITTB -at- TTACS -dot- TTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 1995 18:23:34 -0600

Arthur Comings wrote:

*I'm using "users" or "end users" in my first rough drafts, but I
wish I
*had a word better than that -- one which implies "the people,
trained
*in a specific discipline, who are ultimately using this software
to do
*their jobs more efficiently" -- as opposed to the clerks and
*administrators.

I think you should stick with the term users or end users based
on the definition (I've seen it in IBM documents and elsewhere)
that distinguishes clerks who enter data and monitor processing
(operators) from professionals who put the program to its
ultimate purpose (users). It seems that the scientists do this
because to put a program to its ultimate purpose assumes that the
program helps them perform efficiently, IMHO.

Thomas Barker
ditTB -at- ttacs -dot- ttu -dot- edu