Re: Asimov

Subject: Re: Asimov
From: burgamw1 <burgamw1 -at- TEOMAIL -dot- JHUAPL -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 14:19:19 EST

Back in the 60's, when I was in graduate school in the Department of
Biochemistry at Boston University, Asimov was an Assistant Professor of
Biochemistry there. As a part of the general biochemistry course, he lectured
on water-soluble vitamins, on which he had done the research for his doctorate.
His lectures were always logical, well thought out, and entertaining.

In addition to those lectures, he endeavored to teach us new graduate students
(there were six of us) something about writing and using library resources for
research. He assigned each of us a couple of antibiotics to research and to
write a review article on. We were to include an extensive bibliography. Since
each new crop of graduate students was given a different topic to research, it
was a good way for him to amass bibliographies on many topics and for the
students to learn how to do a literature search.

Murrie Burgan, Johns Hopkins University Applied Research Laboratory
burgamw1 -at- teomail -dot- jhuapl -dot- edu