Re: page breaks

Subject: Re: page breaks
From: "Brown, David W [RV]" <dwb3 -at- PO9 -dot- RV -dot- UNISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 15:56:00 PST

|We have differing opinions in my office and I'd like to hear from this
group.
| When do you force page breaks in a technical (printed) manual?

IMHO, page layout (of which page breaks are a part) should be carefully
considered because it affects readability. I can't generalize about where
page breaks should be, but I have a sense of where they should not be, if
possible. Some of my pet-peave guidlines:

- I don't like to have a page break split a paragraph in two. If the
paragraph is too long to avoid this, then I take a closer look at the
paragraph to determine if it is too long in the first place.

- I like to have illustrations appear on the same page as the supporting
text. If this is not possible, the illustration should be on a facing page
in a bound manual (text on left-hand page, illustration on right-hand page).

-I'm not afraid of creating white space to meet these objectives. So what
if the page is only 3/4 full. I think pages that are very dense with
material are discouraging to the reader. Plus, paper is cheap compared to
the reader's time. I read a great quote from someone on this list: "White
space never lies."