Re: Technical Presentation Skills

Subject: Re: Technical Presentation Skills
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 08:15:09 MDT

In addition to Lori's excellent advice, I would add that you must also know your
audience. I often find that humor works in some situations, but in others it's
dreadfully out of place. The same goes for highly technical language or,
inversely, nonstandard usage. Each has its place in presentation, but if you
use excessive idiomatic language in front of the CEO, you may not command the
respect you would like. If you have an understanding of the audience's
expectations, you will increase the likelihood of pursuading them to accept
your ideas. You'll also be in a better position to know when to ad lib or
interject spontaneous humor.

Bill Burns

"Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum." (Ambrose Bierce)