Re: Articles with Acronyms

Subject: Re: Articles with Acronyms
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 10:09:10 MDT

Even though the letters represent consonants, the pronunciation of the first
letter is nonconsonant. In speech, we'd naturally precede it with the article
"an." In writing, then, we should use whichever article agrees with the
pronunciation of the first letter of the acronym. The Gregg Reference Manual
also supports this usage (7th. ed., section 1101).

Bill Burns

"Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum." (Ambrose Bierce)