Re: Pre-Press at Printers and Publications Tools

Subject: Re: Pre-Press at Printers and Publications Tools
From: Sherri Hall <shall -at- HILCO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 12:54:27 CST

> This printer
> said about 80 percent of all their print jobs were softcopy submitted
> by their customers.

Wow, you must not be in Kansas (or Missouri) anymore!
For 4 years I've been looking for a printer in the St. Louis area
that'll do this and haven't found one!
Yes, I can find typesetters, etc., but not print shops. The closest I've
come is giving a diskette of postscript (FrameMaker) files to a printer who
then outputs it on his 1200x1200 printer and then makes printing plates
from that! The charge? $3.00 per page. For a 200 page manual, that's $600.00
per job (just to get the originals output, not for the printing itself).
Can you give me this printer's name and number so I can call him/her?
Maybe they'll work long-distance. Thanks.

> PS> I must add that if you are printing a black and white manual, chances
> are you can create a PostScript file from your favorite word processor
> and the printer's pre-press room will have no problems with your file.

BTW, this is the type of work I do.
--
Sherri Hall * "No passion in the world is equal to the passion
shall -at- hilco -dot- com * to alter someone else's draft." H.G. Wells