FrameMaker versus PageMaker

Subject: FrameMaker versus PageMaker
From: "USA::MU17692" <MU17692%USA -dot- decnet -at- USAV01 -dot- GLAXO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 10:03:00 EST

Shelly LaRock wrote

>How many of you out there in techwhirler land use
>QuarkXPress? Although I know Frame and PageMaker
>very well, I prefer Quark, and it seems to handle
>larger docs (about 100 pgs) pretty well.

100 pages does not qualify as large, unless, perhaps
the document is crammed with bitmaps. When I worked
at Northern Telecom, we had manuals as large as
20,000 pages. I admit, 20,000 pages was the upper
limit, but our user documentation probably
averaged about 1200 pages per manual.

BTW, we used Interleaf to handle these humongous
documents. Interleaf uses LISP (an AI language) for
macro creation. What lanaguage does FrameMaker use?

-Mike Uhl (uhl~m -at- glaxo -dot- com)
Glaxo Inc. Research Institute
Research Triangle Park, NC