What Technical Communicators Do

Subject: What Technical Communicators Do
From: "USA::MU17692" <MU17692%USA -dot- decnet -at- USAV01 -dot- GLAXO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 13:39:00 EST

On 12JAN95, Dana B. Mackonis wrote

"I have found that most companies still don't understand
the skills of a tech writer."

My experience corroborates this. Projects that I am well qualified and
able to do are handed off to others because management refuses to listen
to me when I explain what I do and can do. For example, the latest need
is for working practices, written documents that describe the way people
best perform their jobs around here. Creating such documents involves
interviewing people, figuring out--with guidance from management--which
techniques are best, and then writing all of this information into s
useful format, such as online help or Acrobat files. As much as I tried to
sell my services on this, all I got was a nod to assist others. And this is
in a situation where those others are very busy and not at all excited about
getting another assignment.

Oh, what must I do?! Arghhh.

-Mike Uhl (uhl~m -at- glaxo -dot- com)
Glaxo Inc. Research Institute