Videotape furor

Subject: Videotape furor
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 1995 23:42:14 -0800

>There have now been a couple of messages lambasting me.

>I will no longer inform Techwr-L of new or upcoming tapes.

>If sound bitter and angry over this, well, I am.

You know, if we all snapped to attention and shouted "I'm sorry" every time
someone criticized us unfairly, there would very soon be nothing much
interesting left on the net.

There's nothing wrong with what you've been doing, and you know it. You
don't need a hundred postings reassuring you and asking you not to stop.
Just keep on as if nothing had happened. Many people will appreciate it.
Others, apparently will be offended. Neither group gets to make the rules.
The net is a distributed self-organizing system. Countless individual
decisions produce its constantly changing character.

I understand your being upset--it's the natural reaction to being flamed.
But get past it. Responding emotionally to criticism, even unfair criticism,
only leads to flame wars, and none of us will enjoy that. ...RM

Richard Mateosian Technical Writer in Berkeley CA srm -at- c2 -dot- org