Re: Glossary terms in index/search engine

Subject: Re: Glossary terms in index/search engine
From: Lori Lathrop <76620 -dot- 456 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 13:53:22 EST

about including all glossary terms in the index or search engine ....

Chuck -- My personal preference is to include glossary terms in the
index, with page refs for the each page where the term is defined in the
text as well as the glossary page. It's especially useful to include
both (text and glossary) if the terms are defined or described somewhat
differently in each. So ... that's the approach I generally take when
developing indexes for corporate clients. However, some clients
(publishing houses, mostly) don't send indexers the page proofs for the
front matter and back matter (which includes the glossary); that's why
indexes for many trade books do not include glossary terms.

Some general rules:
-------------------
Glossary terms are often included in the index for fairly small books;
example:

verify utility
defined

However, for larger books, the index generally includes an entry for the
glossary itself; example:

glossary, 461-492

In that case, it does not include index entries for all terms in the
glossary.

That doesn't mean that it's *wrong* to include glossary terms in the
index; it's really a matter of corporate style guidelines or personal
preference.

Some considerations:
--------------------
You mentioned an interesting situation -- terms appearing in the glossary
but *not* in the text. In that case (which I hope is an unusual one), I
would argue for including glossary terms in the index.

The advice above is for printed books. Now, let's talk about search
engines .... You said:

> So should each term be in the search engine? Or does it depend on the
> term? Or does a well-crafted Help file take care of all that with all
> uses of terms in the glossary linked to pop-ups?

Of course, that's the ideal situation but, if you're in doubt, I'd
suggest including links for each term in the glossary.

***

I hope this info is helpful. If you have any questions, please let me
know.

Lori Lathrop ----------> INTERNET:76620 -dot- 456 -at- compuserve -dot- com
Lathrop Media Services, P.O. Box 808, Georgetown, CO 80444
Phone: 303-567-4011